Furrymate is a dating site for furries, who are anthropomorphized animals attracted. They could fall for individuals who do animal cosplays, for example.
However, the site shows nothing that relates to what the above paragraph explains. Except for the logo and the site banner, there’s nothing else that indicates the site is actually full of furries. Instead, it is packed with folks of other genders.
Although it is not so popular, Furrymate has been in the business since 2011, serving as a dating place for furries. While it could be suggestive of an adult dating site, it isn’t at all. All of its pages are free of porn.
While this website may look cheap, it is not the reality. All features are paid, including the basic ones. The website has fallen under backlash because it is easy to get catfished as well. If you are willing to join Furrymate, you must be ready for this.
Most joiners are definitely from the United States, even though there is no data about the site’s demographics on the internet. Furrymate is mostly populated by 30-year-olds from Canada, United States, UK, and other English-speaking countries.
There’s a minority from Asia, especially from The Philippines and Thailand. But if you want to succeed on this site, you must be American or from a country where English is the first language. Furrymate can be a hookup or serious-dating site. It depends on the people who join the community.
The gender proportion is very similar, putting men slightly above women 54% to 46%. On Furrymate, you can look for sex, but the truth is that the member pool is not awash with perverts. Members prefer a sincere but straightforward chat.
There are people from all walks of life, but most are furries. In this community, it is pretty easy to find otakus and fellows with a traditional lifestyle, given that Furrymates is not exclusive to furry-lovers.
Something that distinguishes this site from others is its focus on long-distance relationships. Hence they specify in their ToS that they use bots to send messages and help them not feel so alone.
The sign-up process is very simple, as all fields are on a single page.
Click on the Sign-up button that appears on the main page and Furrymate will redirect you to a form you have to fill with a username, password, and email address.
There’s a space to submit the gender. The site shows three genders only, which are male, female, and trans, yet it surely welcomes gays and lesbians. After that, put whether you are seeking a male, female, or transsexual member.
You must be 18 years or older to be part of Furrymate. All countries are welcome, but most members are from the United States and Canada. Indicate your city and province or if you are outside the US.
Upload a photo and agree to the terms of service and Furrymate will send you an email to validate the account.
After that, you’re ready for some action, however, you’ll be just limited to browsing until you switch to a paid membership.
It may be complicated to contact people on Furrymate.
To contact people on this platform, you must be a premium member, as they are the only ones who can send and read messages. As a free user, you can get contacted, but you are unable to read messages. So, it is tricky.
Instant messaging is limitless, provided that you pay for a plan. Once you’ve become a subscriber, you can contact other singles. If they don’t want to talk to you, they can block you.
If you won’t want to send a text, Furrymate gives you the option to send winks. This is a good method to make the first contact. Failing that, you are allowed to review other people’s profiles. Let them know your opinion about them, their pictures, and posts.
If you won’t want to send text, Furrymate gives you the option to send winks. This is a good method to make first contact. Failing that, you are allowed to review other people’s profiles. Let them know your opinion about them, their pictures, and posts.
There’s no app, but the site is mobile-friendly. Once you enter, you notice the platform is very minimalistic and bald. All the options are easy to find. The mobile version resembles the desktop layout. They share the same functionality.
It appears Furrymate has no plans to create an app.
Pro & Cons
- It is one of the few sites dedicated to the furry community.
- The website is user-friendly.
- All features are available for view.
- The sign-up process can be completed in a couple of minutes.
- It has success stories galore (you can watch them on YouTube)
- One can’t say there is a vast difference between the desktop and mobile versions when the layout in both is practically the same.
- Furrymate has basic functions that are helpful; for example, the invisibility status to go unnoticed.
- Instant messaging has no limits for premium users.
- Furrymate has success stories all over the internet (I know this is mentioned above), but there are many more of these testimonials on Facebook and Twitter. They add new stories regularly.
- A great place for transsexuals, shemales, transvestites…
- Nobody is judgmental. The community is free of people who have a bias against other sexual orientations.
- Furrymate follows other communities on social media, which increases the opportunities to find other furries.
- It is not pornographic. You won’t see shemales showing skin or guy’s nudes. The site is serious in this aspect.
- The platform is not aimed to find love. You can be part of it to find friends.
- Even though it is useless, you can report profiles that are bogus.
- No one out of the site can stalk you because profiles are private.
- Furrymate makes clear you can’t mask any photo or detail.
- It is chock-full of bots who send you messages upon registration.
- The standard account is very limited.
- It is an old site with hard-to-find reviews.
- The site sends newcomers a lot of messages encouraging them to get a paid subscription.
- The community needs to grow. After 10 years, the site has over 7,000 followers on Twitter, and most probably the population is smaller on Furrymate.
- Furrymate doesn’t have an app. At this stage, it looks like of the old school. Fairly outdated.
- Not good for seeking casual relationships.
- You need to sign up and spend time to start knowing the people on this website. It is mysterious and looks empty.
- No video or public chat.
There are several subscription plans, which can be confusing.
There’s a trial plan for three days, which costs $3. This 3-dollar trial plan is part of the silver subscription, which offers two other plans for a price of $13 and $11 monthly. The 13-dollar Silver plan is due one month, while the other one lasts three months.
Then, it is the Gold subscription, which is also divided into three plans for one, three, and six months. The 1-month plan costs $24, the 3-month is $24, and the six-month subscription is $16.50.
Furrymate just provides two payment methods to pay the fees. Users can pay via PayPal and credit card. All plans are recurring, which means you have to cancel them if you are not willing to continue with the subscriptions.
The site lacks coupons and coins and doesn’t offer discounts either. However, there can be exceptions. Contact them via email to get updated with new offers.
Furrymate may be simplistic but has some features that facilitate communication. Some of these special features are:
- Regional searches: Furrymate is focused on local dating, however, it won’t restrict people from using the search tool to seek daters outside their region.
- Block: this could not be a “special feature” but let’s put it here. Furrymate lets you block those individuals that do not stop sending you messages. In this regard, you can block them, and you won’t hear of them any longer.
- Who’s online: this feature is common on many dating sites. It allows seeing who is connected in real-time. If you are a paying user, you can hit people up. Of course, other members will be able to see your connection status.
- Instant messaging: if you are paid member, you have the ability to inbox everybody without limits. If you get no response, that person hasn’t likely upgraded the account. The website does not separate premium members from free users. This can be time-wasting.
- Invisible: if you don’t want to be bothered, you can switch your status to invisible. This way, nobody can see if you are connected. The people who are online and have activated this feature will not appear on the list of online members.
- Extended search: if you are not willing to meet singles nearby, extend your searches by using the advanced search tool. Are you seeking to meet singles out of The United States? Do you want to meet a furry with characteristic facial traits? Use this option.
- “Off-line”: nobody can see you when you are online. In fact, you’ll appear as if you weren’t connected. But if somebody messages you, you are able to reply as usual.